PPG of the Year 2017
This is a real success story for our Thornton Practice Patient Participation Group.
Patient Participation Groups were made a contractual requirement for GP Practices in June 2015 and that is when Thornton formed its PPG. The purpose of a PPG is to be the eyes and ears of the patients to promote health issues and make all patients have as good an experience as possible.
To be given this award when the PPG has only been in place for just under 2 years is a fantastic achievement.
Thornton Practice PPG were announced as the Outstanding PPG out of 19 Practices across Fylde and Wyre.
This year’s awards ceremony took place at The Villa, Wrea Green and the details of why our PPG won the award are listed below.
- Attendance at Flu Clinics to promote New Models of Care, Pharmacy+ scheme. Collecting smoking data and identifying carers.
- Participated at Carers’ Flu Clinic combined with a Macmillan Cancer Coffee morning to target carers alongside NCompass and Lancashire Well being who gave advice.
- Attendance at surgeries during Self-Care week promoting Pharmacy+, Patient Access and distributing Medical Passports.
- Positive feedback received resulting in attendance at a PPG meeting by the Area Manager and Pharmacist from Lloyds Chemist to explain the Repeat Prescription system resulting in far more scrutiny and accountability.
- PPG members trained as Dementia Friends and Cancer Champions. The Chairman has been cascading this down to groups in the area.
- PPG has had presentations on Vanguard raising awareness for Community implications
- Important input into a patient’s legacy. Patients will benefit from the purchase of a Health Check Machine, wrist watch monitors and ECG, and beds in consulting rooms.
- Continuous Links with local schools on Healthy Lifestyle and Wellbeing to produce an Art Exhibition in Surgery.
- Facebook page set up to link all NHS news locally and nationally and also inform patients of surgery news and initiatives.
- Production of a Healthy Living Exercise booklet. GPs using them as a reference for patients.